Sunday, October 19, 2008

Man Blog #2

Hidey-Ho from Bogota:

Johnny here...Time for Man-Blog#2

It occurred to me when I was on my 10 mile shopping spree with Dulcie that I should have brought a pedometer with me to Bogota. I think I have put on close to 100 miles since we got here. Just think of following your wife or significant other into about 50 - 100 craft stores, shoe stores, purse stores, jewelry stores, markets, art stores, etc.

I have to buy new jeans because of all the walking (shopping), I have gone down a pant size and my butt has temporarily vanished. Don't worry, I will do my best to regain my misplaced bum as soon as I get back...Taco Bell, Chipotle, Manny's Steakhouse and gobs of wonderful breakfast meats! Hello BACON, welcome back SAUSAGE!

Another word of advice, if you ask your cell phone provider if your phone will work in another country make sure they aren't just smiling and nodding. Sprint said my cell phone would work fine but I am only able to receive calls and not make calls or retrieve messages. I need what is called a SIM card. Unfortunately my cell phone does not have a spot for a SIM card, so I am SOL. I could rent or purchase a new cell phone and a SIM card and some minutes but I am a tightwad. I squeak when I walk. If you haven't heard about or set-up Skype please do. It is the cheapest and best way to communicate without a cell phone and a lot cheaper. Setting up a webcam is the ultimate way to see and talk to someone and is free between Skype users.

When traveling try to enjoy as many different restaurants as possible, we just went to Bogota Beer Company for a Margarita, Black & Tan, nachos and calamari. Good stuff. Crepes & Waffles has the best ice cream in Colombia and okay food. El Corral has darn good burgers and salads. The Beer Store is part of El Corral and sells pretty good beer. For pizza there is Archies and 1969. Both have really good pizza and salads. It is great to have traditional Colombian food but it is nice to take a break and have some other kinds of food. There is a Brazilian Steakhouse and a Chinese joint that we hope to eat at before we leave.

Speaking of beer as I often do, there are some good beers some decent beers and some not so good beers. For a good beer try Bogota Beer Company or The Beer Store, they have a pretty good porter, a decent red beer and a medium body beer. I haven't had a chance to order beers from The Beer Store but hope to this week. Store bought beer consists of Aguila which is like Miller Light or Old Mil Light, not much taste. Poker is a better beer, Pilsen is an okay beer. I haven't tried Costena or Quilmes an Argentinian beer. At stores like Exito, Curilla and Pomona  you will find these beers and lots of imports. About Colombian wine, don't bother, it is pretty nasty. Colombians won't drink it. It is pretty much only bought by gullible gringos. There is  huge selection of very good wines from Chile, Spain, France, USA, Germany, etc.

Try to plan some day trips to some small cities within a few hours of Bogota. You will spend plenty of time in your hotel room playing cards, reading, clipping your toenails, clipping you spouses toenails, checking for nose hairs and excessive earwax. How much earwax is excessive? More than 2 Q-tip loads, 3 loads, a teaspoon, a fingernailful? Is that even a word, fingernailful?

That's all I can think of right now, we are going downstairs for a nice evening of cheese, wine and homemade pizza. I think my rear end may re-appear after appetizers and dinner tonight.

P.S. Check out the video of my 1st diaper changing experience. I am still learning about trying to cover juniors private regions while changing him. I learned this after he peed on me while I was changing his poopy diaper. How about this for a new item to sell new fathers: Charcoal filtered face masks to keep out the smell. Or how about this: an FDA approved liquid additive to Juniors formula to make his poop smell like Jasmine & Sandalwood, yummy. Don't worry dear I think it's my turn to change Juniors diapers. How about grilled sirloin smelling diapers, what a marketing genius. 



10 comments:

  1. Hello Beckers!

    We are currently waiting for our referral from Los Pisingos. We have enjoyed reading your blog and following along on your journey. Wade especially likes the "Man Blogs" and would like to thank Johnny for the beer tips...looking forward to trying them!

    That video of the first #2 diaper change is hilarious! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Johnny - I encourge you to try the Quilmes. It's delicious. I drank a lot of it in Buenos Aires.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny, you are one of a kind!!! I don't ever think I have seen a grown man almost brought to tears by a diaper!! :0) Was that Carie and Dulcie laughing in the background?!?! I have a feeling Ellie is leaning all kinds of fun things from "Uncle Johnny"! :0)
    We'll be checking the site this week to see if you have a posting regarding SENTENCIA!!! Good luck!
    Brian, Mary, Lauren & Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I hope this wasn't your first diaper change in the 5+ weeks you've been there. Dulcie, you have to whip this guy into shape.

    Johnny you're right. I love Colombia and all it has to offer except Aguila and their skunky wine.

    What's the good word on your case? I hope things are moving along.

    Word to the wise.... Cold wipes make babies pee:)

    Smooch
    PK

    P.S Our LP application is actually FOURTH on "the list that doesn't exist. Fingers crossed!

    Smooch
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becker Family .... this is my first visit to your blog. I love it. I'm glad you're able to communicate your process during this lengthy but precious time. Manny is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to meet him in person. I loved reading your blog.

    Take Care!!!
    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Johnny! I could almost smell that diaper myself. Good job getting it done tho. But, really - you're first dirty diaper!! Shame on you.

    Thanks for the man-blog. Love it.
    Take care.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Beckers!

    I love that you are capturing all of these "precious" moments on tape! Around 3, Manny will laugh and laugh at how he smelled so bad he made his Daddy almost gag (little boys LOVE that stuff), and by about age 7, he'll be running from the room any time it is played! I am impressed that you stayed in the room to watch him do it. (You know, Dulcie, as soon as you leave Johnny on his own with Manny, set up the camera, as that is usually when the "up the backers" happen. We would all LOVE to see that video. :)).Seriously though, you can't take enough video of these days. You will cherish every minute of them...poopy diapers and all!

    You guys are too funny. It is so much fun to see and hear you enjoying every little part of your experience.

    Hoping for great news from you soon!

    Patsy, Jon and boys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, too funny! I had to change a dirty one on Delany last night and it was a smeller, that's for sure!!! I had to laugh when Johnny said at the end that it smelled "kinda good, actually!"...who's he trying to kid!!!
    Glad to hear you're still laughing and having fun!
    Love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnny,

    Just like a man to take two weeks to post his next blog when a woman keeps up all the work the rest of the time! HA HA HA HA
    Jodi (extra sassy since surgery. Must be my bro's kidney doing the job) Hope to hear good news about your case this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Guys! Any news today on the court situation? Just checking in and thinking of you tonight!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete