Tuesday, September 30, 2008

9/28/08 and 9/29/08

Sunday, September 28th

We took advantage of the closed streets again and walked back to the Santa Barbara Market with our new Colombian friend, Adriana.  She's so cute with Manny.  She took care of him all day, by pushing his stroller, giving him a bottle, carrying him around the market.  I wasn't sure she was going to give him back at the end of the day : )

We had lunch at Archies Pizzaria, which was fabulous!  Adriana's boyfriend, Alejandro met with us for lunch and then we did some more walking around the market until we found the Postres stand (Desserts)  Johnny and I tried something different and both were delish!  Since the streets opened up again at 2:oo, Alejandro drove us back to the hotel.  That was kind of nice, because we were pretty tired from all the walking at the market.

Monday, September 29th

Johnny and I and The Hayden's had the opportunity to cook dinner for the staff here at Hotel Paris.  We had a blast!  Our menu consisted of Spaghetti, Caesar Salad (No anchovies), Garlic Bread and for dessert, Apple Pie with ice cream.  It was a big hit!  We made a run to the Carulla (Super Market) to get the ingredients that we didn't have and started cooking around 4:30.  Hotel Paris' cook, Juanita, helped us with finding all the tools we needed while we prepared dinner.  Colombian radio was cranked up while we were cooking.  Dancing during meal preparation is required.  In fact dancing is a main staple in the kitchen here at Hotel Paris!

Manny was of course, well cared for by all the ladies while we were cooking.  After preparing that meal and serving and helping with clean up, we really got a taste for how hard these ladies work every day. (and we only did one meal!)  Thanks to the staff for letting us invade your kitchen.  We had a blast!


3 comments:

  1. I have to laugh because when we stayed at Paris, I had food allergies so I didn't eat what Juanita made, for the most part. I tried to explain in my best Spanish:) why I wasn't eating her meals and my sister added salt to everything so needless to say, we were not Juanita's favorites :) I bet if you mention my Salty sister to Juanite she will remember her :O I am proud of you all for your good attitudes about your court strike! Hang in there! JOdi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you guys are having so ... much ... fun!! We are seriously jealous! :) Sorry we missed you via Skype on Sunday night. We didn't get home until late. Now with harvest, Eric doesn't get in until waaaaay past Manny's bedtime. Is there a general time you're on Skype? Or have it up?
    Your photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing this experience. And Johnny -- the man blog was hilarious! So glad I know the man behind the words -- made it even more funny!
    Will connect again soon.
    S, E, & N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing all those awesome pictures! You have sure been busy! Dulcie, you need to get to the leather and shoe district so you can find a purse there...or have them custom make you one!!! I see the Hayden's made a trip to Freddy's for emeralds..did you guys go as well? He does beautiful work!
    Any news on the progress in the negotiations with the strike? We're sure hoping it will end this week for you!
    It sure looks and feels like fall in MN this week! Colorful leaves are starting to drop and the temp has dropped as well. Enjoy the South American sunshine while you can!
    Sending big hugs and a big kiss to Manny!
    Mary & all

    ReplyDelete